Thursday, April 30, 2009

Worst Week...

I am sorry for the lack of posts recently. I have been off from work, not watching tv, not blogging, not looking or responding on the internet...NOTHING but removing EVERYTHING from my FLOODED basement!!!

Before I go on talking about my worst week, I would like to stop for a moment and say things could be 1 million times worse than what they are and everyone is healthy which is the important things in life...which does lead me to a prayer request for Jodi's niece, Sammi. You can read more of her story on Jodi's blog, but for the few of you who read my blog and not Jodi's, please keep a 16 year old BEAUTIFUL (both inside and out) girl in your prayers as she is fighting Hodgkins Lymphoma. Thanks!

I got home on Monday evening...pushed Ash on the swings, got Alli to ride her bike, saw that the baby birds on my front door had hatched...all good until I walked down stairs to my room and my feet were wet. I thought maybe the kids had spilled something, but was too wet for that. Looked up and everything was dry, then realized that the water was coming from below. NOT GOOD!!! Let's just make a VERY long story short and say that we do not live in a flood zone, we have never had any issues with water, so we have no FLOOD insurance. Yes, I am a licensed insurance agent who does know that this is not covered on your standard home owners policy, but in my defense, who has money to throw away every year on flood insurance for a home that does not flood...well, so I thought.

By Tuesday morning there was standing water and it has just gotten worse. My living room, bedroom, and "catch all" (a.k.a. the pit) are all down there. When I say living room, I mean living room, not family room. My only couch is down there. When I say bedroom, I mean MY bedroom, filled with my stuff and my closet with LOTS on the floor. So i have spent hours and hours bringing things up. Not as easy as you think. You can not rest ANYTHING on the floor or it just gets worse. You can not tromp through the basement and then up the stairs or you spread the water with you...oh wait, too late it has been spread. Currently the water is about 3 inched above the carpet and padding and rising...even with pumps going. There is NOTHING anyone (including myself) can do, but let it flood.

I think that is the hardest part for me. I like to react. I am a doer. Things happen and I want to fix them. I think that is the lesson that I am suppose to learn in this situation. I don't have control and I can not fix everything. It is very hard to see a basement that we spent so much money and time doing being destroyed and not being able to make it better...at least a little. To know that we have to do it ALL over again and to know that the finances just are not there is very depressing. It just makes me sick to my stomach. A girls home is her home. It is also my families, but not in the same way it is mine. I maintain it, I decorate it, I take it from house to home so to see it like this...very sad!

So bare with me, I may be a little emotional and ramble about nothing. My poor mom, sister and husband... I would "clean" up something and take a break and call them. It is just yucky!!!

I try to remind myself it is just a basement...what is the big deal if we sleep in the laundry room for the next few years??? At elast we have a place to sleep, right? Isaac is already looking at the positives as well...he wanted to know if he could "slip and slide in the basement". Jimmy just laughed...he was thinking the same thing!!!

11 comments:

Jodi said...

i heard that sleeping in the laundry room has become a growing trend...you go, girl. anyway, who else can say that they go to bed under the stars each night? {sounds like your laundry room is outside} maybe the dryer can run to remind you of a nice summer breeze. or something like that. hang in there. just remember how cute you look in my steve madden skull and crossbone wellies. sassy.:)

Mandy said...

Hang in there Kristin! If you need any help, remember I am able and willing! Whatever need may be!

Jennifer Witham Buck / Graceful Expressions said...

oh my gosh... I cannot imagine. I figured something was up when I hadn't seen anything in a bit. .
It sounds like you got a good grip on things, it must be very hard but I am sure things will get better with each day...keep us posted, and you can ramble/vent anytime, my dear! Thinking of you!

Lea said...

I thought in Michigan we couldn't even purchase flood insurance...ha - what do I know?? I can't IMAGINE having everything under water in your house. That's sad and scary. I guess the "boys" have a good idea turning a bad situation into a positive - let them swim down there! ;-) At least it will make for great pics if nothing else!

Hang in there...you're right, things could be much worse. Prayers are headed your way!

jennie said...

Like I told you earlier, ANYTHING you need, you got it. I think you're doing well,keeping it in perspective.
Remember:
This too shall pass.

Sending happy thoughts your way:)

Stefanie said...

I'm so sorry. That must be so hard, just "letting" it run it's course. I hope the end is in sight soon :)

Christina said...

Hang in there honey. I'm so sorry. If I lived closer I would so help you slog through your stuff and then take you and buy you some new make up. Make up always makes me feel better. love and hugs, chrsitina

Shelly said...

Such an awful thing to have to deal with but the good news is it will get better continue to try to see your blessings in other areas. God may be trying to show you something like you can't always control every situation, he's tried showing me this many times but I keep miserably failing! I'll be praying for you and Sammi, hang in there, God will provide and it will be better in no time!

hien k. d. said...

hi Kristin!

i am so sorry this happened! so awful! i will be thinking about you. take it one day at a time and i promise that things will get better.

and i will be thinking about Sammi, too. from an oncology perspective - if you are young and going to have any kind of cancer, Hodgkin's is the one to have. the cure rates are really good.

take care and hope things go ok!

Mya said...

I hope things are totally looking up in your direction. Please know that you have been in my thougts and prayers. I could not imagine having to go through something like that.
Let me know if there is anyting at all that I can do to help.

The Lallo Family said...

I AM SO SO SORRY KRISTIN!!!!!!!! How horrible!Try to smile through it...you ARE RIGHT... it could be much worse....just not the destruction side of it! SO SORRY!!!
Jen