Friday, March 13, 2009

6 in 6

I have been having a really hard week. I am one of those people that get kind of sad when their children have birthdays. I know, I am crazy...Jimmy reminds me of that everyday! It is VERY hard to believe that my babies are going to be 6 in 6 day! I have been struggling with them growing up and letting them grow up. Isaac has been having difficulty with the bus this past week (well, to be fair this past year), but it seems to be happening more frequently. He just is not capable of sitting still. I am not making excuses for him, I am just stating a fact. After 3+ hours of school and trying to sit still there, he is all out of trying by time the 40 minute school bus ride comes along. I was told yesterday that (by an adult, that is rather irrelevant) that it is time for me to control my child. That if I tell him to sit down and face forward, than that is what he should do. Don't I wish it were that simple. I thought that kids would be that way UNTIL I actually had a child(ren). I do get frustrated when I go to school and see the rest of the kids being calm and normal and it is ALWAYS my child that is being crazy and out of control. But at the end of the day, you can feel like you are failing your kids or you can just realize that that is how your kids are. They don't need to be anything else. They are not falling behind in school (the big kids got their report cards yesterday and they did GREAT...Alli is social and talks to much, Isaac has a problem sitting still...imagine that!!!), they actually exceeded expectations on a lot of their requirements. They are also very loving children. They love life, people, learning. That to me is what it is important. They are functioning, capable children who just don't like to sit around...sounds a lot like their parents:)!
Anyway, here is to hoping that prom tomorrow makes me forget about the "bad" week I have had and I will actually look forward to their birthday and letting them get big:)! Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to all the new stages of them getting older. To be honest, I thought I would really only like the "baby stage" and I think so far that is my least favorite stage (well, minus 3 year olds:)!) The older they get the more I love them as people not only as my kids, but the people they are and are becoming!!!!
Sorry for my emotional self. I told you, I will be over it in 6 days, when the new chapter of 6 begins!!! We have parties this weekend and another one on their birthday and another one the follow weekend so I guess after the 4th party, I will be all ready to start with Ashley's birthday a week later!!!!

For you Jennie...I wanted to make a new header for the kids birthday and was so TEMPTED to use last years picture with "THE CAKE", but decided not to go there and play it safe with the Meijer's cake!!!! Sorry Jennie, you will just have to look back, I can not possibly put it on my header or you would be on my blog every second...laughing:)!!!!

7 comments:

Mandy said...

Kristin~you do not have the only kid who has a problem sitting still. It's all about being a boy and sitting (and behaving) in a classroom for 3+ hours is asking A LOT! He will understand one day what he is suppose to do, he is just having fun being a boy. BOYS ARE ACTIVE!
As for "THE CAKE" I am so bummed I didn't get to see it again! Come on post that picture on here! paleaseeeeeeeeeee?? I hope you have a great time at all the parties you have!! Sounds like so much fun!! Can't wait to see pictures and hear all about it!!

Jodi said...

I've explained to you that there are high schoolers with this problem...it doesn't make I saac bad...the people who don't get that obviously don't get kids in general! Stop making excuses. Leave it as it is...Isaac is such a wonderful boy, so full of energy, spunk and tons and tons of love. There is no need for you to explain to everyone all the time. let him be him. he's a good BOY!

Shelly said...

well I am happy to report that both the TenBrink children were awesome on the bus today. The bus driver was very pleased as they were very pleased with themselves. You and I talked about this earlier, you can't let others opinions bother you. You know the truth about your kids , anyone who is a Mom knows how you feel. I feel like I am constantly being judged on how my kids act , and the thought of others looking at my kid with judgement drives me crazy. But at the end of the day they are your kids Kristin and no one elses thoughts really matter..

jennie said...

I am totally ditto-ing Jodi( and the other comments too) on this subject. Don't explain him. He is an amazing kid and will do great things.

From what I hear, the only people being affected by his "behavior" are adults who are just not tolerant. Keep in mind, this is actually THEIR problem, not yours or your childs. He is obviously THRIVING. You are a proactive parent. You are ahead of the game. Keep it up. And love that he isn't a "drone" like the other kids;)

I am sad that we dont get a cake rerun. That is the bestest cake EVER. I want twins JUST so I can have an excuse to have barbie and davey jones on a cake together! Oh well, I guess I could request it for my own birthday...

The new header is super fab! I've been eying those new Cosmo digi elements on scrapblog;)

Kate said...

Little boys and girls who sit still are no fun. What kind of 6 year old can sit still for more than 3 hours? I have 12 year olds in my Sunday School class who can't do it.

Isaac is a very smart and wonderful boy. He's just a "doer". He'll end up finding out how to focus that energy into doing & building great things when he gets older!

The Lallo Family said...

Oh Kristin....how I wish we lived closer cause CJ is a CLONE if Isaac!!! If fact I think Isaac is better cause I KNOW there is NO WAY CJ could ever sit still on a bus. It's all we can do to get him through the full day of Kindergarten. (In IL, it's full day Kindergarten not half day!) PLEASE shrug off what that so called "adult" said! That person was clearly having a bad day and taking it out on you...Corey just added in, in the background the quote from Uncle Buck...."I don't think I want to know a six-year-old who isn't a dreamer, or a sillyheart. And I sure don't want to know one who takes their student career seriously. I don't have a college degree. I don't even have a job. But I know a good kid when I see one. Because they're ALL good kids, until dried-out, brain-dead skags like you drag them down and convince them they're no good. You so much as scowl at my niece, or any other kid in this school, and I hear about it, and I'm coming looking for you!"

Keep your chin up and SMILE cause you know you have perfect kids!
Jen :)

Theresa said...

Kristin, my Sam (also 6), is also a mover. And as much as it hurts when people give you advice about your kids, it jsut doesn't matter (like everyone else on here said). I tend dwell on negative comments, about my kids, from other people. It is very hard not to let things like that bother you, BECUASE you CARE for them SO MUCH!!!

Tonight at mass, my kids were, VERY active to say the least! After mass, a lady came up to me, gave me a (((BIG HUG))) and told me she could see me getting frustrated during mass and not to worry and that everyone with kids has been there and that I am doing a wonderful job...so I am passing that on to you with a (((GREAT BIG HUG))) you are doing a WONDERFUL job Mama K and don't let anyone tell you any different!