Wednesday, March 19, 2008

5 years ago today


After my hour and a half of pushing, cutting and tearing...Allison Marie TenBrink made her way into the world at 12:51am. In classic Alli style, she comes out and looks at us like "what are you doing?". Never making a sound. I, of course, freak out that she is not crying. They clean her up, show her to me and they are off with her. I never even got to hold her. I still had another one to go that was going to "slip right out".
At that moment, they put the ultrasound probe on my stomach and I look at the screen to see Isaac make a big "x". Instead of moving down the birth canal, he decided to make himself comfortable. Again, classic!!! Back up to when Dr. Young put them in, it took them 3 times of checking the test tube to make sure Alli was out of it. She was and is the "dink around girl" and Isaac LOVES to do things when Isaac is ready. So after 55 minutes of pushing and tearing some more (dang head!) and a vacuum, Isaac James TenBrink made his into this world at 1:46. He screamed, I cried, and for the first time in my life, I got to hold my baby. It was very cool. (I think I am going to have to post some of these pictures too)!
They took Isaac to the nursery and I told Jimmy to go with him and my mom to go check on Alli. Quick note, I had a "birthing plan" in order and let me tell you nothing went as planned, especially not holding my kids. My number one rule was that I hold both babies for as long as I wanted before ANYONE else. Not to be a poop, I just worked hard for these kids and I earned that right. Well sewing me up took more than 2 hours. It was a mess down there. I knew the whole time that everyone was holding my babies, including Alli, the girl I never even got to hold. I mean after all, it is 4 in the morning, people deserve something. I finally got finished and they wheeled me into my room. I will never forget getting into my room and Jimmy holding Alli and telling her "I am your Dad and I am going to take care of you and love you very much. Your mom is going to be in here soon and I will introduce you. She is going to love you even more than me." It brings tears to my eyes typing it. It was innocent and pure. He had no idea I was listening. He handed her to me and I finally got to hold me baby 4 hours after she was born. To this day, that is still something that bothers me. Right after that, they brought Isaac in. Yeah, a baby for each of us to hold.
That is when my family came in, for the first time, they got to hold Alli and Isaac. Jimmy came through (as well as my mom and sister knowing I would FREAK OUT) and no one held the babies before me!!!
My miracle babies. Not many people get to see their kids at the 4 cell stage. What an honor and a blessing to be called Mom by such amazing and wonderful children. Yes, I have my moments where they drive me nuts, as well as moments when I fail them as a mom, but at the end of the day, I am so happy to be thanking God for such great kids and letting me be their mom.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I can't believe that they are five already. Happy Birthday to them.