Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Don't Try This at Home




I am not a cook, but for the most part I can bake. NEVER have I, nor will I again, bake a birthday cake for any of my children. I tried so hard to do what they asked. Alli wanted a barbie cake that was purple and blue. Isaac wanted a Davey Jones cake with just his face that was blue and green. Instead, I ended up with this mess of a cake that looks like Davey and Barbie are getting married. I am not sure where good intentions fall in this frosting mess. WOW is there frosting. Just ask Ashley, she has stuck her finger in every part of this cake. Don't you wish you were coming over to eat this??? Don't worry, I "removed" what I could with the knife and tried to smooth things over. Jimmy said the "characters" are too big for the cake and that is the problem. He tries to be nice:)! I think he is partly right, they are huge. Davey had a hard time standing up and I couldn't even write Happy Birthday on the cake. I was forced to write happy 5th! What is Happy 5th????
What can I say, lesson learned. Meijers and Plumbs make great birthday cakes!! For the record, so does Aunt Steph and Grandma. Both of them were nice enough to make me cakes in years past that turned out great. I will post pictures of Grandma's blue cake. That takes the prize!!!!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Kelley said...

Kristin, I love it. It is beautiful. I think that you did a great job. I can barely make a cake so hats off to you!

Shelly said...

alot better than I could have done, I'm good at cupcakes.... Enjoy your day with them...

jennie said...

OK, I need to explain myself a bit first...I started reading you posts today with the blue cookie monster cake with a few little giggles. Then I read your birthstory post and start crying. I just love how each and every mom has a different and beautiful story of their babies. Thank you for telling yours! I so was streaming tears when you told about Jimmy talking to Alli. Then I get to your cakes...and I am laughing out loud! You did great, cakes are HARD and you description is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time! I've had some of mine turn out less than apetizing but kids seem to love those ones even more!!!

jennie said...

I am still laughing...they look like such a happy couple!! Barbie is just beaming!

Janine said...

I LOVE your cake.
:)

Jodi said...

First of all, I think the cake is fabulous! It looks nothing like the "mess" you explained last night. I can relate to making a cake out of the goodness of my heart for SOMEONE who certainly doesn't appreciate the physical appearance of the gift SHE received!! I'll bet the cake is delish! Too bad you are missing the halloween candy!