Friday, October 17, 2008

I DID IT!!!!



OK, let me explain. As I have said SO MANY times before, I have a few issues. My latest is not being "good" at something. I really don't have any hobbies and my life (day to day) consists of my kids, husband, and maintaining the house. I use the word maintaining very loosely. Anyway, I am not at all complaining (well, maybe a little) about my life. I love my kids and husband...laundry not so much, but it must be done. I just NEVER have a moment to even find a hobby. I LOVE to take pictures. I am learning how to use my camera...not in "green square" mode, but actually manually set it up. It has been a lot of trial and error, but I am starting to get it. I also informed Jimmy that I wanted to start to sew. My mom is AWESOME!! I rely on her for SO MUCH, I wanted to remove one thing from her list that she must do for me. I asked/told (bought myself) that I wanted a sewing machine for my birthday. After laughing at me for awhile, me getting upset that I am not good at anything and I wanted a hobby, he said whatever!!

Fast forward to yesterday, I GOT A SEWING MACHINE!!! It was waiting for me on my front porch when I got home. My mom was recruited to come over and help me figure it out...like I said, I rely on my mom for A LOT! She happens to be very sick at the moment and could not come over to help. Jimmy was too busy working on his race car to help. I was FORCED to look/read the directions. It was so easy. I made a sleeve. Yes, a sleeve. I wanted to practice sewing two things together and hemming something. Tonight I did something way better. I made a Christmas pillow. I sewed together 18 squares...nine on each side...yes there are LOTS of mistakes, but I did it! All by myself...even with the crazy kids running around. It was almost therapeutic...crazy at that may sound. They didn't bother me at all. I must also say A BIG THANKS to Jodi. She has been talking to me as I sew...not about sewing, just about life. I am telling you the more chaos, the better I do. I think I just found my stitch...I mean niche:)!

Don't look to closely...it was my first attempt...without a pattern too:)!!!!







What do you think???
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Stefanie said...

I'm impressed... it looks great! Congrats on doing it by yourself. I've always wanted to be able to sew...I've only done small things by hand. Keep up the good work!

jennie said...

This is so funny, Rachael bought a machine 2 weeks ago and shes learning too. I want to learn so bad, but am a little maxed out on hobbies right now. A machine is on my Xmas list.

You pillow is great! I want one! So cute. Fabric is as addicting as paper.

I am "sew" glad you found something you are loving and are good at too!
But what about scrapbooking?

Theresa said...

Way to GO!!! Looks great...don't be to critical about the mistakes...like you said it is your first!!! and you did it yourself! CONGRATULATIONS!

can you make one for me now? I just don't have time!!! HAHA (JUST KIDDING)!!

JT said...

Hey Kristin, great job!!! It's beautiful : )

Rachael said...

I love your pillow Kristin! I just started sewing with a sewing machine too and it's very addicting. I made a pillow and filled it with rice and lavender. If you warm it up in the microwave it is soo relaxing:)

Jennifer Witham Buck / Graceful Expressions said...

It looks so great! Promise that you will keep all of your work - because then you can see how far you have come. It is so rewarding when you do something on your own!
I hope your mom feels better - maybe make her one of those pillows that rachel suggested! That sounds awesome!
Have a great day at Berlin..

Not your Happily Ever After said...

Great job on the pillow. And remember, mistakes show that it's home made with love! I'm working on a flapper girl costume for Claire for holloween. I'm a very "new" sewer too!

Mandy said...

Love it Kristin! Ok when I see you on Tuesday I expect to see Ashley in formal dress made by you!!! hahahaha....You did an excellent job "teaching" yourself! I am VERY impressed!!

Jodi said...

Freak!!! Catchy "speak" though! Good job. Hey, you should find out if any of your commenters over there want to talk to you while you are sewing so I can be let off the hook...any takers??